Powdered Metal Gears
Capstan Atlantic is the largest producer of precision Powdered Metal gears. Our capabilities include high density, high strength gears and our proprietary HD4 process™. Specializing in a large variety of applications, Capstan Atlantic provides solutions for the automotive industry and a wide range of industrial applications.
Gear Tooth Surface densification allows Capstan to respond to our customer's most demanding applications and has the following benefits;
- Results in a P/M gear with similar rolling contact fatigue properties to wrought and forged gears.
- Produces a mirror surface finish to reduce NVH levels.
- Has the ability to crown the gear tooth profile for improved load distribution and minimize noise levels.
- Eliminates secondary operations such as hobbing, shaving, and grinding.
Surface densification provides the cost reduction benefits of the Powdered Metal process while maintaining all the benefits of cut gears.
|Capabilities & Facilities||Gear Types|
|High Performance Alloys||Ferrous & Non Ferrous Steels|
Precision Gear Measurement Equipment
Capstan Atlantic utilizes advanced gear measurement equipment including in all phases
of the manufacturing process, they include;
HD4™ High Performance Gear System
The HD4™ material system is a Capstan developed system that when combined with surface densification provides outstanding strength and wear properties for the most demanding applications.
The benefits of the HD4™ process are;
- Custom designed high performance alloy system
- Superior core density for fatigue resistance
- Pore free surface density for contact fatigue resistance
- Mirror like surface finish for quiet running gears
- Precise Helix angel
- Custom Involute profiles for noise reduction
- Tailored Hardening process to meet aggressive rolling contact fatigue requirements
- Wrought Steel properties with the economies of Sintered Metal